That would make for an interesting lineup but it’s actually three different shows. In early October New Orleans Legend Allent Toussaint is coming to Adelaide with the Legends of New Orleans Tour. I already liked his work, but after recently watching Treme I’m really excited about this one.
In late October, “Congotronics” originators Konono No.1 have been added to the bill for the Earth Station festival (i.e. Womad spinoff in Belair National Park). I’ve been wanting to see these guys for years, always had my fingers crossed for them to play at Womad.
The first music announcement for the Adelaide Festival next year is the great film composer Ennio Morricone (actually I played some of his work at my last Metro DJ set, I had no idea a visit to Adelaide was about to be announced).
Something else to watch out for is a new festival on the East Coast called Harvest which is run by the Soundwave people – some highlights so far are Portishead, Flaming Lips and Mercury Rev. More to be announced, and maybe some interstate sideshows.
- 29th – Mondo Phase Band, Doe at the Metro.
- 30th – Cheer Advisory Council support The Tiger & Me at the Wheatsheaf.
- 30th – Pets With Pets at the Ed Castle.
- 1st – Christian Haines at the Wheatsheaf.
- 12th – Nothing People, Fabulous Diamonds, Mondo Phase Band at Format.
- 13th Satan’s Cheerleaders at the Grace Emily with Woe.
- 19th – Henry Wagons at the Wheatsheaf.
- 26th – Jason Simon (Dead Meadow) at the Ed Castle.
- 27th Fatti Frances at the Metro.
- 3rd – Batrider at Format.
- 18th – Russian Circles at Fowlers Live.
- 22nd – Jack Ladder and Ghoul at the Metro.
- 6th Allen Toussaint with the Legends of New Orleans tour at Thebarton Theatre.
- 21-23rd – Womad Earth Station includes the Kronos Quartet, Wu Man, Toumani Diabaté and Mista Savona. More acts to be announced in August – more added – Konono No. 1 and Tallest Man on Earth.
- 3rd Ennio Morricone at Elder Park.
On the Stereo
- Earth – Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light I cd (Southern Lord)
- The Dead C – Secret Earth cd (Bada Bing)
- Christina Carter – Electrice cd (Kranky)
- Jandek – The Myth of Blue Icicles cd (Corwood)
- Arto Lindsay / Ambitious Lovers – Envy LP (Editions EG)
- Brian Eno and David Byrne – My Life in the Bush of Ghosts 2LP (Nonesuch)
- Miles Davis – Nefertiti LP (Columbia)
- Supersilent – 6 cd (Rune Grammofon)
- Battles – Gloss Drop cd (Warp)
- Clark – Totems Flare cd (Warp)