Tonight Pimmon played a great set of abstract electronics at the Big Star Basement. That’s him below, with support Mourgos Grund second.
Pimmon plays again tomorrow at De La Catessen (just off Waymouth St near FAD) together with Richard Francis (NZ) plus locals Scott O’Hara & Kynan Lawlor, and Daniel Varicchio. Highly recommended.
In other gig news, the 2009 Womadelaide lineup has been annouced. Looks good for Afrobeat fans with both Tony Allen and Seun Kuti & Egypt 80. I don’t know too much else there but it’s always a good event (even when it’s in the middle of a ridiculous March heatwave as it was this year).
Unfortunately The Bug & Warrior Queen won’t be making it to Adelaide on their upcoming tour, they’re only playing Sydney, Melbourne and Perth. The Melbourne show is on Jan 25, so an Aus day long weekend could be on the cards for fans from Adelaide though.
The Bug & Warrior Queen – Poison Dart
Also missing Adelaide is Dubstep producer Plastician who is only playing Sydney & Melbourne in mid December (he’s actually playing more NZ dates than Aus ones).
In February El-P is touring. No word yet on whether any other Def Jux artists will be joining him or if there’ll be an Adelaide show, all I know so far is Feb 26 at the Corner Hotel in Melbourne.
- 24th – Pimmon, Richard Francis, Scott O’Hara & Kynan Lawlor, Daniel Varicchio at De La Catessen
- 26th – Richard Francis at the Exeter Dining Room.
- 28th – For anyone else who was impressed by God God Dammit Dammit supporting Ikochi at Urtext the other night, you can catch them again at the Ed Castle next weekend.
- 5th – Clockcleaner, Naked on the Vague, Hit the Jackpot, Swords, The Fkn Tutts at the Big Star Basement.
- 7th – Mountain Goats with Hit the Jackpot at Fowlers.
- 12th – No Through Road and Leader Cheetah at the Ed Castle.
- 28th – Summer Break Festival at Bonython Park, acts include Benga, Skream and Public Enemy.
- 9-10th All Tomorrow’s Parties at Mt Buller with the best damn lineup of any festival that Australia has seen, including Laughing Clowns, Saints, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Harmonia, M. Gira, The Necks, Robert Forster, Silver Apples, Spiritualized, The Dirty Three (playing Ocean Songs), Bill Callahan and many more.
- 14th – Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds at Thebarton Theatre.
- 19th Cinematic Orchestra at Her Majesty’s Theatre.
- 26th – Leonard Cohen with Paul Kelley & Augie March at Leconfield Coonawarra Winery & Vineyards.
- 30th Big Day Out, at Wayville Showgrounds, with Neil Young, Arctic Monkeys, The Living End, The Prodigy, Sneaky Sound System, My Morning Jacket, Pendulum, Bullet for My Valentine, TV on the Radio, Simian Mobile Disco, The Ting Tings, Tiki Taane, Cut Copy, Cog, Birds of Tokyo, TZU, Eddy Current Suppression Ring.
- 7th Laneway Festival. Stereolab, Daedelus, Fourtet, Pivot and many more. Lineup here.
- 17th Chick Corea and John McLaughlin at Her Majesty’s Theatre.
- 6-8th Womadelaide.
On the Stereo
- Ninetynine – Silo EP cdep (no label)
- Ninetynine – 767 cd (Chapter / Endearing)
- Sea Scouts – Beacon of Hope cd (Unstable Ape)
- Land What Land – s/t cd (omiimii)
- Josephine Foster – This Coming Gladness cd (Bo’Weavil)
- Shirley Collins & Davy Graham – Folk Roots, New Routes cd (Fledg’ling)
- John Fahey – Red Cross cd (Revenant)
- Pivot – O Soundtrack My Heart cd (Warp)
- Passage – The Forcefield Kids 2LP (Anticon)
- Soundmurderer & SK-1 – s/t 2LP (Rewind)