It’s that time of year when the summer festival rumours start appearing. The highlight for me is the rumour that the All Tomorrow’s Parties festival will come to Australia. Rumour has it that Nick Cave will curate and it will be at Mt Buller in Victoria on January 9-11.
At the end of January, as usual there will be the Big Day Out, and it appears that Neil Young could be headlining.
In early February the Laneway Festival will be returning to Adelaide, no word on who might be playing but there should be an announcement within the next few weeks.
My big hope is that the Silver Jews will be in one of the festival lineups. They have been touring extensively, and their latest album had an Australian release on Spunk records.
Other news this week is that Ninetynine are touring. They are one of my favourite Australian bands, their last show in Adelaide was fantastic and I’ve been looking forward to their return. I highly recommend their last album Worlds of Space, Worlds of Population, Worlds of Robots.
Here is some of their stuff on Youtube
and a really old one
Now for the upcoming gigs:
- 27th Parklife Festival with Diplo, Dizzee Rascal, Blackalicious and lots more.
- 29th Black Francis at HQ.
- 9th Joan As Policewoman at Jive.
- 10th The New Pornographers at the Gov.
- 11th No Through Road at the Metro.
- 12th The Tallest Man on Earth at the Grace Emily.
- 17th Clue to Kalo with Swords, Megafauna and My Disco at the Ed Castle.
- 19th Grand Salvo will be supporting Sophie Koh at Fowlers.
- 3rd Howe Gelb at the Jade Monkey.
- 7th Clue to Kalo at Rocket Bar.
- 22nd Ninetynine at the Metro.
- 17th Chick Corea and John McLaughlin at Her Majesty’s Theatre.
On the Stereo
- Talk Talk – Laughing Stock cd (Polydor)
- Various – Impact! cd (Soul Jazz)
- Various – More Pressure Vol.1: Straight to the Head cd (Pressure Sounds)
- Skream – Skreamizm Vol.4 2×12″ (Tempa)
- Venetian Snares – Huge Chrome Cylinder Box Unfolding cd (Planet Mu)
- Burning Star Core – Challenger cd (Hospital Productions)
- Satan’s Cheerleaders – Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea cd (no label)
- Kris Wanders Unit – On the Edges of Silence cd (Newmarket)
- Peter Brötzmann & Shoji Hano – Funny Rat cd (Improvised Music from Japan)
- Taste of Teeth – s/t cd (no label)